The Explorers is for youth between ages 11 – 17. Their motto is “Be Prepared”. The Explorer Troop operates in Patrols of 4 to 8 members led by a Patrol Leader who shares responsibility with an adult leader for patrol direction, activity planning and the training of less experienced members. There is now a heavy emphasis on using the outdoors with activities that typically include camping, hiking, canoeing and backpacking. The new Explorer starts as a Tenderfoot and then progresses to Second Class and then First Class.
On investiture, an Explorer, Senior Explorer, Rover or Leader makes the following Promise:
On my honour I promise that I will do my best –
To do my duty to ‘God’, and the Queen;
To help other people at all times, and
To obey the Scout Law.
The Scout Law is:
- A Scout’s honour is to be trusted.
- A Scout is loyal.
- A Scout’s duty is to be useful and to help others.
- A Scout is a friend to all, and a brother to every other Scout.
- A Scout is courteous.
- A Scout is a friend to animals.
- A Scout obeys orders of his/her Parents, Patrol Leader, or Scouters.
- A Scout smiles and whistles under all difficulties.
- A Scout is thrifty.
- A Scout is clean in thought, word, and deed.